I've been speaking at conferences around the world for the past 15 years, covering a wide range of topics. While common themes have been the Python community and diversity and inclusion in tech spaces, I've also spoken on education, data science, system administration, and technical aspects of Python.
Want me to speak at your event?
If you're interested in me speaking at your conference or event, just get in touch! I'm happy to talk over how things might work. If you have a particular topic you'd be interested in having me talk about, I'm certainly open to suggestions.
If I agree to speak at your event I will do my best to help make it a success, both by spreading the word in advance and by supporting activities in persion.
With some advance notice, it's possible that my publisher, Manning Publications, will support a raffle and signing of my latest book, The Quick Python Book, 3rd edition. If this is of interest, I can put you in touch with the relevant people at Manning.
Different conferences have different resources, and in general I keep that in mind. On the other hand, I generally will need to have the following basic expenses covered.
- Transportation - economy class transport to your event. I will be happy to work with you to figure out arrangements that both respect your resources and get me to your event in good shape to speak.
- Lodging - it doesn't need to be glamorous, but I will need a quiet place where I can unwind and rest.
- Compensation - for community events with moderate ticket prices I do not expect compensation. However, if you have a for profit event, I expect that I will also be compensated. This can be discussed as part of the agreement.
- Safety and respect - I will not take part in events that do not have a reasonable code of conduct and a reputation for enforcing it. If the location of the event is in an area known to be intolerant of LGBT people (or unsafe in some other respect) be ready to explain how my security will be ensured.
- Inclusion - I will not be used as a token to tick a diversity box. If the event is not or has not been inclusive or diverse in the past, please be transparent about what you hope to achieve by inviting me. I'm willing to help events become more inclusive, but only if I know the situation in advance.